Structural Design Engineer, Core Engineering -
October 27, 2022-
Job Description -
Dept. 651 Structural Design Engineer
The Structural Design group is responsible for providing an optimum design solution satisfying requirements for maximum inherent safety, performance in terms of weight and durability, and minimum cost of production and ownership. This job is for placement in the Core team supporting major projects and product improvements for G500, G600, and G650 fleet.
Qualified candidates will have:
- Thorough understanding of structures design criteria including design loads and durability (fatigue and corrosion).
- Solid understanding of design and manufacturing processes with a focus on design for manufacturing and assembly (DFMA).
- Solid understanding of 3D Model Based Definition (3D MBD), and the application of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) for details and assemblies.
- Minimum 20,000 hours or 10 years experience on CATIA v5 in primary structure design role.
- Proven ability to manage projects of significant scope including work planning and managing of tasks involving design, certification, release, and presentations to various stakeholders.
Preferred candidates will also have:
- Proficiency in CATIA v5 workbenches: part design (machined parts), sheet metal, Composite Part Design (CPD), FT&A, Knowledge Based Engineering (KBE) tools including use of parameters, design tables, and Visual Basic macros.
- Proficiency in SmarTeam PLM database.
- Prior work experience with Gulfstream aircraft design.
- Experience with knowledge management processes using SharePoint.
Competencies essential for the job:
- Professionally dedicated to advancing safe and efficient airplane transportation with a passion for Structural Design work.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work together in a team environment and across disciplines.
- Ability to communicate technical findings and recommendations clearly.
- Driven, humble, and people-oriented.
The candidate will be ultimately responsible for producing high quality designs, ready for manufacturing, on time, at the right cost by:
- Employing all Structural Design core competencies to develop structural definition of the aircraft.
- Engaging various engineering, manufacturing, program, and customer support teams to complete designs.
- Participating in design reviews.
- Participating in aircraft build support.
- Interacting with suppliers and preparing technical coordination memos.
- Preparing engineering reports.
- Documenting, tracking, and managing design projects of various magnitude using online knowledgebases and tracking tools.
- Providing technical leadership and mentoring to junior engineers.