Job Description -
Dept. 332 NC Engineer III
Under minimal supervision, perform activities related to complex numerical control (NC) programming, including machining methods, tooling concepts, and programs for NC milling machines and lathes.
- Familiar with Mazak milling machines to include 3 axis and 5 axis preferred.
- Catia and Mastercam experience preferred.
- Ability to work on one of a kind parts while interfacing with shop floor for prototype and R&D parts, and Flexibility of priorities and ability to shift work schedules preferred.
- Experience with Flow Water jets, bridgeports, aviation process and finish codes a plus.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct a thorough analysis of engineering drawings, tool design drawings, and/or electronic models, to determine the optimal machining methods, selection of machine tool, and material cut size.
- Interact with planners, tool designers, engineering, and customers as required, to finalize plan.
- Develop cutter motion logic per operation sequence, selecting proper spindle speeds and feed rates.
- Perform a thorough check on all aspects of the program and verify cutter paths through the utilization of Vericut.
- Develop operator set-up sheets for numerical control machines.
- Develop flat pattern mylars and templates as required.
- Produce 2-D Catia tool drawings as required.
- May act as Team Leader as required, assigning work tasks, maintaining work load schedules, and setting priorities to ensure timely completion of department goals and corporate objectives.
- Assist in training and guiding lower level engineers as needed.
- Assist in formulating Numerical Control policies, procedures, and specifications as required. .
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Strong knowledge of various machining and drafting methods, technical writing, and computer use.
- Ability to read and interpret complex blueprints and engineering drawings.
- Must be highly proficient with Catia modeling, drafting, and Catia NC Mill function. .
- Must have demonstrated expertise and a proven track record in support of company policies and rules, and consistently meeting objectives.
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related curriculum required or equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
- Four (4) years machining, planning, tool design, or related manufacturing experience to include 2 years of experience as numerical control engineer.